Ok, so I realize this is WAY overdue. I'm not sure why I haven't been more on top of my blogging game, because I have had the time to do it. I love to write and am pretty open too, so I'm not sure why I haven't been better about it.
Anyway, so I have some big news! I now have a new little man in my life! His name is Baxter. He is a precious little yorkie puppy! I already love him bunches! He is almost six weeks old. I have been looking forward to meeting him for months!
I came to the decision that it was time for me to get a puppy back in April. I have wanted to get another dog that I could keep inside with me for years now. My sweet Cinnamon passed away last year, and I miss her a lot. Sweet Cinnamon never got to be inside with us though. Though I have wanted another dog for years, I never felt like the time was quite right. I know how much of a responsibility they are, and in the past I've had roommates who didn't really want to have one in the apartment. But back in April when I found out I would be moving out of my three bedroom apartment and into a one bedroom by myself, I thought this would be the perfect time to get a puppy!
I am definitely aware of the heavy responsibility puppies are, but I think it will be really nice to have something to take care of at this point in my life. I've had a lot of fun, and been pretty carefree since college, and though I still plan to have a lot of fun, I think a puppy will be a good shift for me.
I still don't know exactly how my heart got set on Yorkies. I have always thought they are adorable though. I like that they are small and easy to scoop up and carry with me and also that they make good lap dogs. I LOVE to hold things! ha. I also like that they don't shed and are hypoallergenic (for my allergic friends out there ;) When I did my research, out of all the lap dog breeds, Yorkies were at the top for me. Research said they are playful, affectionate, can be independent, unaware of their small size, usually very smart, and don't typically have any major health concerns. I have heard from other people they sometimes have hypoglycemia, they don't always potty train easily, and can be yippy, but I know every breed has their disadvantages.
When I decided to get a Yorkie, I enlisted my detective mother to help me find one at a reasonable price. They typically cost five hundred dollars, and I was shooting for 250! ha. My mom saw an ad in the paper soon after I asked for her help, and she called a man named Bobby Russell in Biggersville, MS (close to Corinth). He said that though he usually sells them for 500, because of the economy he would sell me a boy for 300! I thought this was reasonable
enough! He said he would have a litter ready by July 4th, so I asked off work for several days after the 4th so I could stay home with him and start his training.
Yesterday, dad drove me to Biggersville, and when we pulled up to Mr. Russell's house, he was holding my little Baxter while rocking him in a rocking chair. It was sooo sweet! When I saw my Baxter, I almost lost it over how cute he is! I also didn't expect him to be so tiny! ha. Mr. Russell says he owns 60 adult Yorkies that he breeds! Wow! He also breeds Schi Tzus and yorkie poos and possibly a few others. He does it for a living.
Baxter was a little scared and shy at first, but he didn't stay that way for long! He is such a sweet little boy! I even managed to get decent sleep! I had to take him out at 3:30 and played with him for a few minutes, and when I put him back in bed he whined for about ten minutes and then when back to sleep and that was it! I was expecting him to whine all night! I am so proud of him! I am currently already working on potty training, teaching him not to bite, and getting him comfortable with his kennel (he is sleeping in it right now!).
I feel like he is so special and was meant for me because we even share the same birthday!!! His will be very easy to remember! ha. Anyway, we are having homemade ice cream today and a picnic...post 4th of July celebration. More blogs will be coming soon...I promise ha! p.s. sorry this one was so long! I guess I had to make up for lost time ha.

No comments:
Post a Comment