Monday, September 21, 2009

Slow Mo

I am so relieved because things are finally starting to slow down for me with both of my jobs. I just feel like this last month since school started has been a whirlwind, which is pretty typical. Advising really kicked into gear, and I was working hard core on lesson plans everyday on top of that. I also had something to do out of town the last several weekends.

Thank goodness for a slower pace! I was looking at my syllabus today and realized that the next two weeks my students will be giving speeches, so I get a little break for the lesson plans. Hallelujah! However, I will have to start working on the next ones a little bit in advance, because I'm going on a cruise!!! Yay! This will be my first one. I used to not really have a desire to go on a cruise. I was all about getting out there and looking around whatever city myself, but the thought of such a relaxing, easy vacation sounds great to me right now! I am also going with Amber and let's just say we're both pretty directionally challenged, so a cruise will be great for us, since it's a lot harder to get lost on a ship! Though I'm sure we would still find a way! lol. It was also ridiculously easy to plan compared to most trips. I researched and found one that worked perfectly for us, and it's not very expensive either. SCORE! I decided I am going to have to find some really good books to take with me, because I have really been craving a good book!

I have really enjoyed teaching this semester so far. Planning the lessons is the only part I don't really love, but it's not that bad either. I know I have so much to learn at this point. Sometimes I feel like I'm not really breaking through to them, but that just challenges me to try new things and work harder. It's something I want to do though. I really do want to TEACH them not just feed them information. I want to help them improve and become better speakers. After the first test I realized I might need to do more. It was a fairly hard test though, and I was warned that the students don't always do very well on the first one. My coworker said his students did about the same as mine which made me feel slightly better, but I'm hoping they will really put a lot of effort into their first graded speeches that start next week.

I am also still loving Baxter. I haven't regretted getting him for one single day, and I feel like I have had him for so long now though I know it's only been a few months! Honestly apart from the potty training I don't think he could be a better pet, and I hear the potty training is pretty hard for most people anyway! I am very grateful that he is and has always been healthy, that I can take him anywhere (he rides in the car very well and adapts to any environment), he's so small that he can't do much damage and is very easy to manage (giving baths is so easy!), and though he does still try to bite some and sometimes chews on shoes, I think even the biting has gotten better. I think his size is really one of my favorite things! I also love that he follows me around the apt wherever I go. Now if only I could get him to sit in my lap for more than five minutes lol. I also really appreciate the fact that he is teaching me patience. Potty training is a patience tester, and so far there has been very little improvement, but I know I must press on and so I do! ha.

One of the other things I am really grateful for right now is how good God has been to me. He has really been teaching me how to be grateful for what I have and for where He has me right now. I know these are precious years, and I will one day be so grateful for all the things I've gotten to do and all the friendships I've made and all the time I've had to just be free and have very few responsibilities. I will never have this time again, so praise God for all He's done and for who He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment