Thursday, May 20, 2010

Who Knew?

So it's beach time! The beach is calling my name, and I am finally getting to answer it! This is my first beach trip of the summer, and I'm really excited. Christy has graciously invited us to stay at her fantabulous beach house again for a weekend. Now when planning for a beach trip, one of the first things that pops into my head is getting into that swimsuit! ha. This usually inspires me to want to shape up a bit and watch what I eat a little more.

My dear little sister just went on a beach trip herself and gave me some inspiration. She said she lost 5 pounds on the South Beach diet the week before she left. Now, I have never been one to stick with any kind of fad diet by any means, but I thought, what the heck? I'll try it out for a week or two before the trip and then I'll go back to my normal routine.

As I learned about this diet, I decided to take a slightly modified approach and instead of eating no carbs the first few weeks, I decided to only eat natural carbs like fruits, because I think everyone needs some carbs! I thought this diet was going to be killer for me, because I'm a carboholic to the max! However, as I begin following it, something amazing happened! Not only did I actually lose some weight, but I started feeling better than I have in my entire life!

I went back and read more about the diet, and it says you are supposed to cut out carbs in the beginning to stabalize your blood sugar. I have struggled with low blood sugar in the past, and even to this day I have now realized I have had an imbalance in my blood sugar levels. I have always eaten tons of carbs and too little protein, which I think has caused my body to rebel a lot. So these last few weeks, I have been eating more proteins and fewer carbs and also haven't been afraid to eat some more fatty things like peanut butter and cheese, and I have felt so much better!

Now while I started trying out this South Beach diet, I have really turned it into my own way of eating, and I'm trying to eat lots of natural foods. I'm eating way more fruit, vegetables, and proteins, and I can feel the difference! I never thought eating "healthy" like this would actually make me feel so much better physically! But it really does pay to treat your body right! In the past, most days I would go through slumps, and it was usually after lunch and sometimes after dinner. I realize this has all been because of the way I've been eating. Now that I've been eating healthier, I feel good all day long! It's amazing! It has helped me to feel better emotionally too!

I would like to finish this off by noting that I am NOT trying to lose weight. The whole thing started simply bc I wanted to get "beach ready" but I'm hoping to make it a total lifestyle change, because I have finally discovered what eating healthy is all about and how great it really is!

No comments:

Post a Comment